Sunday, June 1, 2008

All Good Things Must Come to...

a new beginning.


We were at a bbq last night mainly for my football team but there were other suspects there. The bbq was at my friend K's house...well not really HER house. She has been a Nanny for the same family for 10 years and this year her charge is going off to college. The house K has been living in is a gorgeous place downtown. It has been the site for MANY classic parties since I have known her. Now though, since her charge is off to college and K just finished up her Masters, things they are a changin'. As we walked out of the house last night, she said, "This very well might be the last time you see this place." It was kind of sad but at the same time, b/c is really is time for K to move on, it was ok.


Right now, K is not sure where she is moving to, what her next job will be (she was also a teacher) and even if she'll stay in Philly. As scary as that sounds, she sounds totally fine with it. It's like she was ready for the change and what comes, comes.


The thing is, she did ask me if I was going to take over the football team. I said no. With that, I think it is truly over. I don't mean just football. Playing held some of us together, otherwise our paths would not have crossed. So this final bbq meant that there are proabably some people that I will not see again for a very long time or maybe ever. It made me realize that for the past 8 years, this is where most of my/our friendships/social gatherings stemmed. Where do we go from here? It feels a little like being single and knowing you are not going to go to bars to meet people worth dating. Many people in our situation have kids, so that is how you end up meeting people. That is not the case with us. We'll actually have to rely on our own personalities (egads) to break the ice.


So, how do a couple 35 year old DINK's go about making new friends? This is a change that we have seen coming for awhile but never really thought about much. Looks like we better or P and I will have to start spending more quality time together, egads indeed.

5 comments:

Los said...

Blogging is a good way to start, Scargosun ... Philly has been a little slow in the blogging realm ... many cities have blogging get togethers quite often (not yet with Philly).

Candid Carrie said...

Good thing I googled DINK because I had no clue what that was and now I come to find that DINK was the ring name used by a very famous midget wrestler and I can understand why you and P will have a hard time finding a new social group. I understand that the little people usually date their own and where P would feel like a robbed the dwarf cradle. I wish you social acceptance in whatever core group you chum with next ;)

Rock on, my little one, rock on.

Heather said...

You're at a fork in the road. Breaking into new social groups can be tricky, but exciting. Don't do anything irrational like spending quality time together just yet. Egads...

ShelbyAnne said...

M'dear, you'll be fine. You guys will make friends at work, find other social activities, etc. Take up some other stuff (bridge?) and meet some folks. As much as I'm sure you and P adore each other, you're going to need some time apart,eh?

Anonymous said...

Crossroads tend to be scary and exciting. It's sad to come to the end of a predictable and familiar social grouping.

With your sparkling personality and ready wit, you will shine meeting new people. Throw yourself into something you have never ever tried before just for an experiment, just for a laugh and most importantly just for great blogging material.

Big hugs for poopy endings Scargosun.

xxxx