Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Fathers Day, Dad!

Today we celebrate our Dads by showing them that we care. We may do it by bbq-ing, giving them presents or just letting them relax. Today I did something I know my Dad could relate to an appreciate. I edged grass.

My Dad was an engineer, methodical, precise; a perfectionist. He took care of our 2&1/2 acres of property like it was his second full time job. The front lawn always looked perfect, like a pool of green that you'd want to roll around in and fall asleep. He had a push mower and a tractor. He NEVER drove the tractor on the front lawn because he said it was too heavy. The flower beds were perfectly lined up and the stone wall he built around one of the huge trees in the front lawn looks like a professional landscaper painstaking laid each field stone to this day.

So today, when I went to the cemetery to leave some flowers and have a little chat, I noticed that the around the edge of the plaque that marks his spot, the grass was starting to grow over a little. I thought that the cemetery maintenance was supposed to keep up with that. Anyway, I thought to myself, "This would have bugged Dad. I wonder if I have scissors in the car still." I went and check the glove compartment and sure enough I did. So I went to work and edged the plaque by hand.

When I was growing up, people always thought that I was more like my Mom. As I went through my twenties and now halfway into my thirties, I think I turned out more like my Dad; always striving for perfection, even when not warranted or needed. Today, I was my father's daughter, edging the grave marker, making sure that it was out lined tastefully and crisply. Clipping a blade here and there, blowing off all the stray clippings. I know that Dad would have gotten what I did and appreciated it. That made celebrating Father's Day a happy occasion for me instead of the sad one it could have been.

11 comments:

AFRo said...

This was so very sweet. I'm glad that you were able to really feel the connection with your dad today. That's what it's all about girl.

Los said...

That was great, Scargosun! I'm sure your dad was smiling up above ... and probably critiquing your work.

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

A wonderful tribute to a very special man!

Candid Carrie said...

My favorite part is how you blew away the grass clippings. Doesn't happen much, but I've been rendered relatively speechless. Job well done, my Indian friend ;)

John Deere Mom said...

That's awesome. Your dad sounds a lot like mine in his engineering perfection. Such a sweet story. Thanks for sharing.

EmBee said...

Such a loving gift of daughterly affection... Makes my heart feel warm and my eyes misty.

Anonymous said...

That was a lovely thing to do, and I'm sure your dad would have appreciated your efforts!

Thanks for the advice you sent! I really needed feedback!

BS5 Blogger said...

Pax Tecum, Scargosun - that's beautiful!

Happy days to you - love BS5 x

:)

As Cape Cod Turns said...

That was very sweet! I am sure he appreciated it!

Snooty Primadona said...

You know your Dad had to be chuckling just watching you cut the blades with scissors. Doubtless he appreciated every snip of the scissors.

Lindsay said...

That was such a touching and personal thing to do. I'm sure that your father would be very proud that he raised such a thoughtful woman.