Friday, June 13, 2008

Special G-Dog Day

Today is G-Dog's 1st Adoption day!

One year ago today, P and I traveled up the NJ turnpike to the Woodrow Wilson Service Plaza to meet and bring home our sweetie.

Yes, she peed in the car on the way home but we were prepared with a tarp in the back of the car. Yes, she barely sat down the whole way home. Probably just really happy to be out of the traveling RV kennel. We were just so happy to be bringing her home after 2 months of waiting that we could barely contain ourselves.

It all started when P and I decided we were ready to take the big step to getting a dog. We knew we were going to adopt and I began searching Petfinder.com. A couple places faulted us for not having a fenced back yard and this made me sad. Were we unfit to be dog parents? After all, all the books said you shouldn't leave your dog outside unattended anyway. We were planning on twice a day walks for an hour each. Being rejected was heartbreaking. Then we found Daisy through PAWS - New England. PAWS works with Tipton Treasures in Tennessee. They bring dogs out of the kill shelters, vet them and adopt them out to people from Tennesee all the way to New Hampshire! Daisy was a lock for us but there was a family that just got in before us so Daisy went to another good home. As soon as they found out Daisy had already been adopted, I got an email about G-dog. She was at a kill shelter in Tennessee and was surrendered with two other dogs. We could not resist her cute face and smile from the picture we were sent and there was NO way we were going to let her be in a kill shelter. It was just SO wrong!








So we immediately said, YES! Get her vetted! We want to bring her home!

She still needed her heartworm test and she still needed to be spayed so we waited for each of those hurdles until we had our pickup day scheduled.

On June 13th 2007 we brought our little G-dog home. She is our southen belle and we love her more than we ever thought we could.
Click on the slide show for better viewing. :)

27 comments:

Brianinmpls said...

What a cutie

Lula! said...

Oh, she IS a southern belle. Totally.

Jon said...

I'm more of a cat person. Kinda.

Mama Dawg said...

She's beautiful.

ShelbyAnne said...

Ahh she looks like a doll! What a sweetheart. I'm jealous.

Cherlyn said...

Awww! I so miss having a dog.

Re: your comment:
I've cleaned out my friends list once or twice. Just going through and deleting people I don't talk to. Mostly it's people I never really did talk to. And that's what I don't get...he and I talked not too long ago. He's not online that much.

Anonymous said...

I'm a sucker for a dog face. I think mine have my number!

Insane Mama said...

aahhh, So glad you rescued her. My next dog will be a rescue dog for sure, but right now I have four dogs, so that will have to wait.

Candid Carrie said...

Oh, the cuddle picture is so awesome! Do you really wear make up to bed? I've seen that on television shows, but never knew anyone that did that.

Alright, the dog is gorgeous! I love the alert and attentive photos where the ears perk up just a little bit. My very first dog was a yellow lab, too. Thanks for playing

EmBee said...

Awwwww, she looks a lot like our 'Anna' a pound puppy dog herself. Her full name is 'Anastasia' because at the pound she looked just like a displaced princess.

Love the pics and happy dog day!

Dirty White boy said...

dogs are so much better than cats.

Lex the mom said...

She is a beautiful girl, isn't she! Gorgeous doggy! I keep seeing these wonderful pets & really yearn for a pooch of our own. :( (I keep looking them up on our local humane website & fall inlove over & over again)

One Crazy Chick! said...

AWWWWW! What a cutie!

Anonymous said...

So Cute! We rescued our dog Marley too...it always seems as if he really appreciates us. Do you feel like that with your girl?

Los said...

What a cute puppy! If we ever get a dog, I'll probably try to save one too - it would just make me feel better.

Judy Schwartz Haley | CoffeeJitters.Net said...

what a sweet dog

Lindsay said...

You did a good thing! I got my girls from a shelter, and it just broke my heart not to be able to take every one of them out with me.

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Thank you for rescuing a dog!!

MissKris said...

I care for my two little grandsons and we also have a Lhasa Apso named "Chloe". Sometimes I think Chloe needs more love and affection and attention than the two boys together! But I can't imagine life without her.

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Congratulations, Grace! Sounds like a great fit!

Tiffany said...

She is so gorgeous! Happy one year together! Here is to many, many more!

PS Word Verfiication is getting nuts: sqaymmcd

Heather said...

She looks like such a happy dog! Awww...Happy Adoption Day!

BS5 Blogger said...

Hi Scargosun, I love it when your posts throw in several US States - it is cool to see lists of places so far away but on the doorstep to you!

Does G dog bark with an American accent, and is it a particular US State accent?

I see your leader is over here in England at the mo' and our Gov't is kow-towing not really letting any sort of protest get anywhere near the man! Roll on the US election!

Kristen Andrews said...

Hi fellow SITS Sister! She is such a pretty girl! I am a sucker for all cute dogs! We rescued a greyhound!

Snooty Primadona said...

She is absolutely ADORABLE and has a look of great intelligence. What a profile! I think it was in the cards for you two to have her. All of our pets have always been rescued from one place or another, so I'm a big believer in that.

Fifty K said...

Glad to hear there are others still willing to adopt animals out of shelters. We saved all our kitties from shelters too.

Sydney said...

AWWWW! We found our pooch through petfinder.com too! She's my first baby, that's for sure! Shadow... a lab hound mix. Your girl looks very sweet!