Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Saturday and Sunday

See what happens when you don't have internet access over the weekend...it spills into the week.

So Saturday I spent all day outside. I weeded all the gardens with the exception of the jungle with the poison ivy. Still don't know what to do with that. I also took G-dog for a LONG walk along one of the trails close by. She was totally wiped out when we came back. I needed her to be so I could finish weeding without her staring at me through the screen door. I then went over to get some more plants for the gardens. On my way to the farm stand I called my Mom and invited her to dinner and to stay over since P was out of town and because she is ready to kill my brother for not putting her furniture back in the house (long story). So I made Grape Tomatoes with Shrimp and Romano Cheese over Orzo and salad. We also consumed 2 bottles of wine. This of course opened the flood gates for her. We had one of those mother daughter conversations that goes down in your personal history. There was laughter there were tears...there was TMI (in the form of what is going on with her boyfriend in Anguilla and stuff about my Dad)...and secrets revealed that I intended to keep forever (in terms of stuff you don't tell your mother for fear of how she'll react even if it was something really bad that happened to you). It is better that they are out there now though.

So she stayed over and we had coffee and cheddar dill scones (homemade, thank you) and cherries for breakfast. After she left, I planted my new plants and in the process dug up MORE dafs that I now need to replant in the fall. It looks really pretty out there and now I need to make some hard decisions about the azaleas. They look completely tired out and I don't think anything can bring them back to their former glory. Just means MORE digging.

17 comments:

Los said...

I say you light the poison ivy on fire ... do it late at night.

Dirty White boy said...

Im noticing I get a ton done when i dont have internet access, but then when i get internet back on, im stuck with it for days catching up with the rest of the world.

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

Sounds absolutely wonderful.

I am so sorry we couldn't get together...

It was a friggin' horror show, so I am glad I didn't even try. Our meeting was shorter than all the travelling I did to get to the meeting.

SUCKED!
But I am glad to be home and let's PLAN on getting together in July!! YES?!

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Not sure I would be strong enough for a heart to heart with my mom that would include information about her Anguilan boyfriend.
Good thing it included 2 bottles of wine!
Very impressive menu too!

-Bridget said...

I want to come over to your house to eat.

Anonymous said...

Don't ya hate when they stare at you through the screen door? So Pathetic!

Unknown said...

Moms...
Thats all I'm going to say about that.

Cant you use a smidge of Cross Bow on your ivy?

Know what I had for dinner with my daughter last night?
Banana boats.
Thats a banana in it's skin cut open with mini peanut butter cups stuffed in the middle, wrapped in foil, thrown in the coals, cooked till done, then topped off with toasted marshmallows.
Kind of white trash vegan.

Fifty K said...

We need pics of the garden. I want to see.

My cats do the same thing to me when I am working in our back garden. They sit at the windows, screaming and crying to come out.

I had a few of those talks with my mom before she passed away and I am glad I did. I ended busting my sis on a bunch of stuff. LOL. My mom stood there with her hands on her ears saying she didn't want to hear any of it. Gotta love moms.

Anonymous said...

It sounds lovely... the whole mom staying over and having wine thing. How wonderful that you have that kind of relationship.

I hope you get all your yard stuff figured out. I'm still working on mine too!

Jen said...

Wow, what a weekend. It sounds great. So that is what happens when you turn the computer off; human interaction. Nice!

Anonymous said...

Yikes, I hate to think how I will be next week when I have no computer access on holiday. I doubt it will involve weeding though ;).

EmBee said...

Digging deep both emotionally and physically eh? Sounds therapeutic!

Amy said...

Sounds like a great weekend. Sometimes it's nice to be disconnected for a bit. Hard, but nice.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me I have a forty foot freaking garden I neglected to weed this week.

appreciate it....


peace
#2

Candid Carrie said...

I was wondering if we could trade mothers. Maybe yours drinks to much wine, but mine whines way too much. Could we work something out perhaps?

Ashley. Unscripted... said...

I think I would have severe withdrawal without my computer. It's quite sad. And those scones sound delicious!

ShelbyAnne said...

From the girl who cries at everything:

Tonight's Deadliest Catch is/was a TEAR JERKER. Poor Phil. I want to hug him.