Friday, June 6, 2008

Friday Crackberry Pic: Makin' Whoopie




HA!


What did you think you were going to see here!? I am going to run out of title teasers soon. Anyway, this is a Pennsylvania Dutch/Amish delicacy; the Whoopie Pie (yeah, yeah other places have them but they have a cooler name here). This is what Wikipedia has to say about them:


"A whoopie pie, sometimes alternatively called a gob, black-and-white, or bob is a baked good traditional to the Pennsylvania Dutch culture as well as New England, made of two small, chocolate, disk-shaped cakes with a sweet, creamy frosting sandwiched between them. In Western Pennsylvania they are known as "gobs."
Moist, creamy, and simply delicious with a cold glass of milk, they are popular both as a simple dessert or as a snack food. They can be purchased wrapped in plastic at
Amish farmers' markets throughout Pennsylvania, Indiana, Virginia, West Virginia, and Ohio and are often found in restaurants and gift shops throughout Pennsylvania Dutch Country. They can also be found in most convenience stores and supermarkets throughout New England and in some convenience marts and supermarkets in New York as well as in Quincy Market located in Boston, Massachusetts. As one of the most common delicacies of the cuisine, recipes for whoopie pies are almost always included in Pennsylvania Dutch cookbooks."

I got mine today at the Conshohocken Farmers Market. Actually, today they probably should have called it the Conshohocken Farmer Market as there was a poor showing of farmers. Anyway, there was a nice Amish family there today and they happened to be selling whoopie pies (they had other stuff too but the WP's took precedence for me, it being lunchtime and all). Yes, I realize that the Amish have a bad rap in PA for being puppy mill purveyors and I shouldn't support that blah, blah but since they didn't seem to be selling any puppies, I purchased their pie. (Workin' the alliteration today, can ya feel it?)

Since the chocolaty goodness is now wafting to my nose I must close this post, grab some milk and have at my Friday Whoopie.

16 comments:

Brianinmpls said...

yum:)

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

Double YUM!!!

Suburbia said...

Never seen one of those before, I wish I could have some now, I'm dying for chocolate and I've finished my secret stash!!

Acrimony said...

*mentally computes the # of calories in that*

I've never heard of those before, but it looks pretty good. Enjoy!

Lindsay said...

Dear Lord that looks good! It's like a cross between a Moon Pie (a southern thing if you've never heard) and a Swiss Cake roll.

BS5 Blogger said...

*Every* time with these post titles, Scargosun!

HA indeed, you cheeky minx!

There's something indefinable and 'oooh!' about Amish women, but maybe that's born of a fantasy about Kelly McGillis in Witness (1985), and those long skirts...

:)

Cherlyn said...

That looks delicious...

MissKris said...

I see you have me as one of your links...I just added you to mine, too. I'm back to baby sitting my two little grandsons 10 hours per day, so even if I don't always have time to comment I try to come by on a daily basis. So don't feel blue if you don't hear from me much...I have SO little computer time now! Hope you're having a great weekend...raining here AS USUAL!!!!! HA!

Tiffany said...

See now THIS is what I call an afternoon delight....

KatBouska said...

Awwww...I want whoopie! That looks tasty. I wish WE had Amish puppy millers around here. I'll have to settle for an ice cream sandwich.

ps my new url is

http://mamakatslosinit.blogspot.com

Just in case you have trouble with your link.

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering already. It looks yummylicious. Do you have the recipe?

ShelbyAnne said...

I had never heard of this...had no idea what it was...and now I think I'm in love and will be googling how to make them since I am nearly certain NO ONE out here sells them, let alone has any idea how to make them. YUM!!!

Missy said...

Found you through SITS and your blog is great! Ok, I'm completely grateful that we do not have these in my part of the country. That is like, the HOLY GRAIL of snacks! And homemade. Dang, you just set off a chocolate craving.

Heather said...

Not familiar with the Whoopie. I think I need to work on that problem. It looks REALLY good.

Mama Dawg said...

That looks good. Now I want one.

Anonymous said...

IT IS A LOT HARDER TO BE A FARMER THAN YOU MIGHT THINK. YOU MIGHT WANT TO LEAVE YOUR BLOG AND TRY TO GROW SOMETHING YOURSELF BEFORE YOU PUT OTHERS DOWN.