Friday, June 20, 2008

Friday Crackberry: A History Lesson and Beer


Click to view larger
I pass this historic inn every day on my way to work. It is the General Lafayette Inn and Brewery. It is located in Lafayette Hill, PA. You can probably guess who the town and the Inn are named for, General Lafayette (duh). Here is some history about the place. If you don't have time to hit that link, General Lafayette spent time here and in the town which was called Barren Hill during the American Revolution (for you readers in the UK, that scuffle that happened after Concord and Lexington. BTW, HBO's John Adams taught me more about history than any history class). He fled at one point b/c the British had a plan to capture him there. They didn't (FAIL!) and he came back. He spent time in the Inn with his fellow strategists but history does not tell us if he slept there...maybe he just passed out at some point.

Anyway, now it is an eating and drinking establishment. They brew their own beer which is quite good. They have a Sunset Red which seems to be P's drink of choice but I like to sample the others when they come out. The Chocolate Porter is a thing of beauty and if you 1/2 it with the Red Velvet, well you have a really nice beer you can sip on for a good long time. P and his friend W spent many a night in this bar before I came along and a bit after. They even had their own mugs and thought themselves kings of the pool table. Now that W has a child and P plays flippin hockey or soccer every day (ok maybe not every day) their trips there are much fewer. I will always remember it as the first place I met my future SIL and was insanely nervous and the first place I was jealous (from of the attention P got from the female bartenders). Ah memories.

We have not been in awhile but I love looking at the building and thinking about the spirits of many generations past going on about the place. Maybe someday I'll catch a ghostly pic with my Crackberry. :)

16 comments:

THE Stephanie said...

Hey there! So you wanna be Blogalicious?? Send us an email at blogaliciousdesigns@hotmail.com and we'll get working!

Fifty K said...

Is this the place where Ghost Hunters went to try and find some spirits?

If not, it looks exactly like one they did not that long ago.

scargosun said...

kc - I don't think they have been there but there were at the General Warren Inn which is about 3 miles from where I grew up. It's a nice place.

JWilson said...

The Inn looks lieka pretty cool place. I love historical buildings and history. I loved the John Adams movies and I too learned a ton from them.

Party of 5 said...

I love that place. (the way it looks I've never been there...LOL) I could think of a million stories about it.

I'd love to just go exploring in the rooms (if htey were still in tact and not all messed up by the brewery and stuff.
(here from SITS)

Mom2FiveBratz said...

I bet its haunted. I thought this before I read the last paragraph to your blog.
Im psychic that way. Our new house is haunted. Ive seen shadows that move and hear weird things like a basketball being dribbled outside. My kids are asleep when this happens, and they dont own a basketball, just soccerballs. Seeing and hearing 'ghosts' is a normal thing for my family.

Anonymous said...

Very nice....thanks for the history lesson too....very interesting. Now you've made me want to watch John Adams too...I missed it!

Candid Carrie said...

Nice post, you make me want beer. Thanks for that.

Judy Schwartz Haley | CoffeeJitters.Net said...

I used to think chocolate beer sounded gross, but then I tried it. the brand I tried was Young's Double Chocolate Stout - amazing from the keg, less awesome yet still good from the can.

I have yet to find it in a local microbrew.

Heather said...

Oooooo...a ghosty crackberry. I can't wait!!

EmBee said...

Do they have a reception hall here? Because I think we attended a wedding reception here... Then again, there are a lot of similar looking establishments in the area.

Tiffany said...

You know I have my degree in History right? You make me so jealous, driving these streets seeped in Americana!!!!

stephanie said...

I so love history (and I learned much more from well-done media & books than most of my classes - although one prof in college was a genius with the lessons), and especially like to think about the possibilities of hauntings...

Your coast is far more rife with this kind of cool stuff than ours. I'll have to visit someday.

Jen said...

Interesting very interesting. The part about the beer was my favorite. mmmmm....beer.

Lex the mom said...

I love going into historic buildings. They just have a feeling in them. Not finding my words very well, tonight. heh.

That place looks and sounds great! It's cool to have those memories attached to it, too.

Anonymous said...

OMG Red Velvet beer sounds the best. I am a huge, if not very serious fan of real ale.

I know all about the American Revolution and that, we did it at school. It's where you kicked our arses and spilt tea in Boston harbour some time in the 18th century.

Looks like an interesting hostelry, somewhere I would like to go.

And fancy P flirting with a female bartender when gorgeous you were around. What was he thinking of, silly boy?