Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Run that Makes You Look Forward to the Next

I have been sick the past two days so this is a post I wrote on Friday about an awesome run.  It helped me remember that my fall runs are very, very close.

I was looking forward to this run all week! The temp was supposed to go down to around 50 overnight and I knew the temp was going to be in the low sixties and low humidity in the AM.  I didn't mind getting up early and walking the dogs first.  They were ready to go too.  I think they realized how gorgeous it was outside too.  They were frisky and and happy as they bounded through their usual paces.

I also knew today I was going to be able to get in my 4+ miles even though I had not done it in a couple months.  I could just feel it in the air.  My iPod started me off with "Womankind" by Annie Lennox from The Women soundtrack and really got me moving.  The beat is great and very uplifting.  I just added it to the mix a couple days ago and it is definitely a winner.  I also like the next song from that same soundtrack called "I Feel It All" by Feist.  It has a great beat but is a little bid subdued so it kept me from bursting out of the gate.

As I ran I noticed that the leaves are starting to fall from the trees and it made me smile becuase I know I will have more beautiful runs like this one coming up.  Eventually I cam to my some what comedic song on my mix, "I Play Chicken with the Train" by Cowboy Troy.  Don't judge me.  It's a combo of country and hip hop and it works and makes me smile every time I hear it.  It also makes me want to dance in the middle of the run.  Someday I might just do that.

Moving on, at about 20 minutes I got that feeling, you know that feeling that you get when you have hit your stride, your breathing works and you feel like you could run forever.  Made me wish I'd gotten up even earlier so I'd have a little more time to do just that.

It seemed like every song in my mix hit at just the right time to either pump me up or remind me to keep my pace even.  Songs like "The Good Stuff" by Sid Maudlin and "Send Your Love" by Sting, remixed version and finally the best one, right at the end, "Straight Ahead" by Tube and Berger.  "Straight Ahead" hit as I was on a straight away towards my endpoint.  I did 4.3 miles in 38:30. :) I am now in a fantastic mood and can't wait for all of my fall runs!

Entire Playlist
Womankind, Annie Lennox
I Feel it All, Feist
I Play Chicken with the Train, Cowboy Troy
Hong Kong Garden, Siouxie and The Banshees
Aphrodisiac, Bow Wow Wow
Show Me the Money, Petey Pablo
Head Like a Hole, Nine Inch Nails
The Good Stuff, Sid Maudlin
Merengue, Robert Abigail (featuring DJ Rebel)
Send Your Love, Sting (remix Dave Aude)
Belleville Rendez-Vous (French Version), Beniot Charest
Straight Ahead, Tube and Berger

5 comments:

Ethel said...

glad you're having fun running! and , wow!! you're fast! i just trot along but since i'm midlife crisising i'm going to try a half marathon next april. i tried 4 miles on Sunday...it did feel nice but, definitely not as fast as you! fun playlist! i just listen to myself pant!

Paul G said...

Keep it up. I'm doing a marathon this fall but not running enough. You are inspiring.

Andrew said...

Running always makes me feel better....
I wish I could do it all of the time, and anywhere. Like, at work, if I'm feeling sick, I just wish I could go running!

It's the only thing that really clears my head.

Good luck!

Tracy @ The Chameleon's Backbone said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Annie (Lady M) x said...

Go girl go! That was a really inspirational post..... and I lurvvve the songlist.....