Thursday, June 18, 2009

Where Does Time Go?

I think about this a lot. It's funny that I chose to write about this topic when I have a digital timer next to me counting down the minutes 'till I am supposed to take the rice off the heat. I think about how much time I spend doing things I don't want to do and during those times I am thinking about things I want to do. For instance, there was laundry to be folded when I got home, laundry to be started, dinner to be prepped. There is a huge list and I can't ever figure out why it is that I don't have the time to do the things I was thinking about while I was folding laundry and chopping broccoli (insert music "Choppin' brocoli-he, choppin' broccolee. She was choppin' broccoleee!" must be an SNL fan from the good times for that reference).

People tell you that you need to 'make' time. What the hell does that mean, make time? Time is just there, you have a certain amount and it continually marches on (across your face if you are a woman, yes Steel Magnolias). It seems like other people have the time to do stuff besides house stuff. What are their ingredients for 'made time'? Do they have a spouse who knows how to empty a dishwasher or fold laundry without begging? Is it one cup helpful mate, 1/2 a cup of no one is coming over this weekend let the vacuuming go, a pinch of less control freak and a dab of JUST LET GO? What are your ingredients for made time? I need to know because according to my timer, I have a few precious minutes before I have to leave this blog and make dinner.

6 comments:

Los said...

I think I need to make an extra day in the week ... preferably another weekend day.

MissKris said...

I am ALWAYS lacking for time. But every now and then I take the time to go over my priorities again and purge out the things that are time-wasters. And somehow I 'make time' for the things most important. Except for the hours spent doing day care for my grandboys - lots of "Super Why" and "Curious George" that are taped on the DVR - I watch next to no TV at all. Therein lies the biggest time waster of all.

Mama Dawg said...

I have absolutely no way to make time. I wish I could, but I don't.

LOVE the SNL reference. Right before I read your description, the second I saw "chopping broccoli" that's IMMEDIATELY what I thought of!

Suburbia said...

Don't clean so often! Really, it definitely gets to a certain point where another day or two won't make any difference (easier said than done though!)

Or you could try not sleeping ;)

BS5 Blogger said...

I like that recipe, but I think you only need to make the occasional minute of calm to have good days?

Top stuff to see you Blogging again, Mrs. America....

Ethel said...

love it! i know exactly what you mean! i'd like the recipe too..or how about what does it mean to "waste time"..sort of like wasting food..what if you just can't eat it all?