Friday, October 10, 2008

Explaination of My Poem Below

When the fall days ripen into an orange haze, That beautiful color that seems to hang in the 'gloaming' of a fall twilight
When the shop windows fill with leaves and candles and webs All the fall and Halloween decorations
I think back to a time where we still laugh and wish
For full pillowcases We used to use our pillowcases for trick or treating when I was little

When the streets hush early, In our neighborhood it seems like dinner happens earlier on Halloween so that the kids can eat and then get ready for trick or treating.
When the first tiny children step out as something other than themselves The younger kids get out earlier and are dressed up in a costume
I tie the ribbon in a foolish way ‘round my head to hide I like to dress up a little to hand out candy. I always wanted one of those cool masquerade masks. Ya know?
My face and maybe tears Might be a little sad seeing kids with their Mom and/or Dad.

When the lights bob down the way, Parents and kids carrying flashlights and glow lights to light the way
When the laughter and joy fills the streets Kids happy and excited.
I’ll ponder the delicious fragility of this travesty of the day My Father died on October 31st, 2003
That celebrates the thin veil between this world and the next. On Halloween it is said that the veil between this world and the afterlife is at its thinnest.

When the sun rises tomorrow, November 1st
When the stone warms to my touch and the grass is scented My Father's grave is in a beautiful cemetery with rolling grass and his grave stone is stone and a plaque set in the soil, flat on the ground.
I’ll take my cakes to your resting place November 1st is Dia De Los Muertos or Day of the Dead. In Mexico, families go to the graves of their family members who have passed to invite them to join the living family in a celebration of their life. People bring food and drink and basically picnic in the cemeteries with their ancestors. They make Day of the Dead bread or cakes to take with them.
And share them with you. I plan on upholding this tradition because I think it is lovely and my Dad was a great lover of Latin culture.

9 comments:

BS5 Blogger said...

Nicely done - have a great Friday with your positive outlook.

Tami said...

Very nicely written! I love that you explained it too....you did a great job :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful poem. I like the tradition too!

Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Sarah Mae said...

You have written a very beautiful poem. I write poetry myself, and I always appreciate a fellow poet. :)

www.jumpintothewildblue.blogspot.com

KatBouska said...

Ohhhhhh! Thank you for explaining!! So sad. What a strange and confusing time Halloween must have been for you growing up. :(

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Very nice and about your farmer's market post,,,, I too like cooking with Chard.....onnay! :)

Unknown said...

Hi. I just found your blog through Sarah at warmcupofcoffee. I think you're a more talented writer than you realize. Your poem is lovely in its nuances - it doesn't need an explanation. :)

Lula! said...

Beautiful...